Monday, January 9, 2012

Should grandchildren and us be included in my step moms Christmas card letter?

I have had the same step mom for 23 years (age 3). My dad had 2 boys and 1 girl after me with her. Now my half siblings are 19, 18, and 16 (I am 26). I am married and have two children of my own (ages 3 and 6 months). Basically my step mom sends out a Christmas letter/card every year. In it she states that she has a new grandson born this year , and briefly mentions my other 3 year old little girl in total dedicating one sentence for my family (nothing about me or my husband). She then proceeds to give full lengthy paragraphs about her children (my siblings) and all the travels they are going to do as a family ie my dad, her, the teenagers, their grades, what they do in their spare time, yada yada. The dog even has a paragraph. The issue is that she has a huge photo card of just her kids. I know I am an adult and I send cards of my own (not to all her relatives and my dads extended family like she does), but she doesn't have a picture of my kids in it anywhere or of my husband and I. Not printed onto the letter she prints off the computer or on the card of anysort. We have always tried to lead the life of not treating eachother like we are a blended family.. I mean I have known her since my earliest memory. She is the first to parade my kids around her church saying "these are my grandkids" but always introduces me to people as "Gregs daughter, my step daughter" she claims she does this so that people don't get confused.but it kind of hurts my feelings that she wouldn't want to show others, especially family, a picture of her so called "grand kids". All my aunts and uncles send letters gushing with the lives of their kids (all of them) and pictures of their grandchildren. Remember, it is my dads grandchildren too. I know everyone has the right to make their own card but is it wrong to not have any pictures of her grandchildren, "daughter" and son in law?Oh we also bought a new house and have a lot of neat milestones that relatives would like to hear about. It just seems like she goes out of her way to act like a perfect Grandma but then when it comes to her family and image she doesn't acknowledge us in the look back at her year. Am I wrong for being a little upset?

No comments:

Post a Comment